Thursday, October 30, 2008

5's All Over the Place

One constant you will find on this blog, is conversations with my kids. I think it might be my most favorite thing in the world.

This morning's conversations started early. Like, 5:45 early. Bo was rustling through our bed looking for a hat. I kept hearing him say "Garner's hat" and I wondered why on earth and when our friends had given him a hat. So finally I asked, "What Garner's hat are you talking about and why is it in our bed?"

"Cawwwdno, not Gawwwdno!" Oh right, right. Much clearer. He gets to wear his Cardinals hat today because he "brung food" for the food drive. J informed him that brung is not a word.

A few minutes later, snuggled up to me, as I'm fading in and out of consciousness he starts to tell me about his homework slip that he's sure I haven't read.

"It tells you to wohk with me on whyming. I need to listen to you say a wohd, then I say a wohd that whymes with it. Then aftoh that, you have to say a wohd and I have to give you TWO wohds that whyme."

I have no idea how much time passes after he says this, because I was really much closer to sleep than not.

"And uh, I'd weally like to be able to tell my teachoh that I did my homewohk last night. Even if it is this mohning."

Guilt trip from 5 year old: VERY effective

I said, "Please just give me 5 more minutes Bo, I'll go rhyme with you in 5 minutes, okay?"

He sits up and looks at the clock. "It's 5:50 now, so in 5 minutes it will be 5:55."
A few seconds later and very matter-of-factly, "There will be 5's all over the place then."

Downstairs rhyming. He is in heaven. I am mustering up all the brain power I can to come up with a word, and he's firing off rhyming words left and right. I resorted to just listing things around us.

"Door."
"Whore! Hahaahaha, I made that word up I think! It's a gweat whyme though, isn't it?"

I don't dare tell him otherwise, on account of, he's still fixated on other words he shouldn't know or say.

And because our laundry is in piles in baskets, there requires some skilled fishing to retrieve what we need. I could only find gray socks for Bo and even though they are his and they were dirty at some point, he acted like I was asking him to wear a petticoat.

Mooooom aaaaaaaaah! LOOK at these!

I see them, what about them?

They're GRAY!

And?

GRAY!

Yes Bo, they're gray, it's a color, who cares what color your socks are?

But gray is a grown up primary color, NOT a kid one!

17 comments:

Jenny P. said...

That is really early to be rhyming words.

I love middle of the night guilt trips... sam said once, "If I were the parent and MY kid were asking me to get up, I WOULD!"

Well yay for your kids Sam, since they'll have a parent so much better than me...

Jenny P. said...

And wahoo for firstness.

Bex said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Grown up primary color???? Where does he learn these things? And Whore, does indeed rhyme with door. Kudos Ben, for getting a gread rhyming word. Next time be sure not to use Chuck or Buck or evem Mitt or hit, as these can and will led to more rhyming potty words! I love it whne they rhyme with made up words the best.


YA! I'm first! Finally.....

Bex said...

Oh Crap. MommyJ beat me by mere seconds. Booooooo.....

Tori :) said...

Bo rhyming door with whore reminds me of when I rhymed sticky with hickey in my 5th grade class. Apparently at least 1/2 the class knew what a hickey was- not me.

I love your convosashuns with Bo.

Sarah Tilley said...

hah! fives all over the place. bo's a smart kid. and who knows, he was probably saying hoar, not whore, so you can tell him it's just another word for frost. :)

Cyndi said...

Watch out for those rhyming words. When Andrew was 2 or 3 he was OBSESSED with rhyming words and would just blurt out random combinations. One day we were visiting my friend at her office and he yelled out the most embarrassing one - trying to show off his new skill. Duck and, well you know, popped out! Everyone within 10 offices could hear him - even her boss!

Olivia Meikle said...

You better watch out he doesn't say that particular rhyme in school, Nobody. He will end up in the Skills Room in seconds flat.

Klin said...

5 o'clock AM anything is tooo early for anything. I don't think my brain turns on until 6:30 AM at the very earliest.

Adult primary colors. Hahahahahahaha! I didn't know about the specification.

I think you are taking a nap. I know I would be.

ucmama said...

and I thought lesbian would be a great nickname for my sister Elizabeth until my mother told me NEVER to call her that

Rebecca said...

grown up shocks fooo sho.. oh I am with beckie.. avoid the ship, duck, truck, kinds of words.. or perhaps try em out.. it would make a great post!

Deena said...

5:55. In the morning. I think I would die.

Charlotte said...

The other day my four year old was sing songing silly words. We almost fell over when he started with sucker. And my maiden name- Tucker- my sister taught special needs. She had them call her Miss Kim instead.

Heffalump said...

How much humor would we all miss out on without kids?

M.Howerton said...

Bo is a great rhymer - he really brung it!

aubreyannie said...

HOW in the heck can you write such interesting posts about your kids? it just blows my mind. you should see my family blog..it's so very boring compared to this. that si all, i'm just saying you are cool and i've missed your blog. the end.

Code Yellow Mom said...

Grown-up primary color is the most adorable thing I've ever heard. (Henry told me once that black is a naughty color...hmmmm.)