Sunday, December 7, 2008

My Little Bible Thumper

On Friday afternoon, I got this email from Bo's teacher:

"
Two things: Ben recited in class today a part that he is saying in a church program (is that right?). Also, he was talking about someone bringing over grape juice, and he looked puzzled. He repeated, “grape juice, grape juice, no. . . “ Suddenly, it occurred to me what he was saying. Grapefruit? Someone gave your family grapefruit? YES!! : )"

There are several things about this email that I love. I love that his teacher gives the kids each 5 minutes to tell their random tales, because what 5 year old doesn't love to share his business, meaningful, important, business with 20 other 5 year olds? I love that she took the time to share it with me, and I love that she clearly gets him. She knows him and listens to him well enough that she can pick up on where he's going. Even when sometimes the road he's on is oh-so-elusive.

But the part about him reciting his church part, had me in tears. I could not stop laughing.

A) It's random at its finest
B)He memorized and recited this part for the church's children's program nearly 3 weeks ago
C) Of all the the things he could have shared, this one is the most---eh, let's say---evanglistical-ish.

It was, "And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Savior of the world. (1 John 4:14)"

WOOOO--EEEEEEE, Bo let 'em hear God's word, and let'em hear it but good. It still really makes me laugh, imagining something like this:
Teacher: Okay, next we'll hear Mikey's news and after Mikey, we'll hear Bo's.
Bo (thinking): Oh man, what am I gonna say. It's gotta be good, I like to leave 'em with something profound, what's it gonna be? I KNOW. I can do my Primary part. Now let's see, seen, testify, Savior of the world....yep, it's got it---that's just the thing to pack the punch I like to pack.

And today, while trying to enjoy a peaceful and loving Sunday afternoon together, Bo kept yelling at Avee. He did this mean, loud, menacing yell of her name, several times. I got after him each time, but it wasn't stopping. So finally I pulled him over to me and said, "It is not okay for you to keep talking to Avee like that. That is not how we talk in this home. Do you ever hear me talking like that? Have you ever heard Daddy talking like that?"

Both J and I waited for him to admit that, yes, he had in fact heard both of us yell meanly, but he didn't point it out. Instead he agreed that it wasn't how we talk around here. So I asked him what he thought I should do the next time he talked to Avee like that. He suggested he be sent to his room. So I suggested that his Zelda game be taken away. But we both agreed that the yelling stop.

Within 15 minutes he had forgotten and yelled at Avee. And got sent to his room. While he was objecting that being sent to his room "didn't even make any sense" (??? what?!) Avee came over and assumed the same parental tone and inflection and said to me, "Mom. I need to talk to you. Let me talk to you right here. Now Mom. You do not lell at people. It is not okay to lell, I need you to stop lelling at people all da time."

"Who do I yell at Avee?"

"You yell at Bo, and you yell at Danyo---oh...no-wait...just dad lells at Danyo...."

As hard as I tried to keep a straight face at the beginning of the lecture, J's hearty guffaw made it impossible for the conversation to continue.

22 comments:

M.Howerton said...

I love that Bo is the preacher man at school. You can't tell me that a kid that memorized something 3 weeks ago and recited it to his fellow 5 year olds is the kind of kid that would kick anyone at random.
Go get em Bo!!

Adolescent Family said...

yetaday. lelling. tippany. 3 of my favorite words to hear from Avee :)

Analiese said...

I need to be a fly on you walls!

Becky said...

Oh yelling... one of my vices. I hate it! I have to work on it! But it's interesting to see a kids perspective.
I hope that the newness of the furniture arrangement will bring peace to the force!
I also LOVE that Bo was a preacher man. My Chache often talks about her prayers at school and how they do it different than our family. So sweet!
Check out my new blog. www.mycurlyhairdays.blogspot.com It's good to get some thoughts out. SO not as cool as yours, but maybe when I grow up I can be as awesome as you! (0:

Klin said...

I used to be a "leller," but my kids grew up and now I am just a laugher.

But mostly I laugh at your darlings.

Go Bo!!!!! It's fabulous that he stands as a witness of God. I'm impressed. You must be doing something VERY right momma. Something that over powers the lelling you do at apparently just Bo ;)

Emily said...

I can never keep a straight face either when I get lectured by my kids. . . Then again, neither can they when they're in trouble - I think I'll laugh even harder when one day they say to me (like I say to them) "Do you think it's funny? huh? Well, it's not!"

Sketchy said...

Yes, Nobo...lets stop all the lelling over there. It's really getting quite out of hand.

PS: you handle the parental feedback from your children much better than I do when I am in disciplining mode. Mostly I just want to smack them at that point, it's not until later that I realize how adorable it all was.

PPS: I should point out here that I do indeed refrain from smacking. I just feel like it. Occasionally.

Tori :) said...

No lelling!!!!

I love that he recited his part. That is so stinkin' cute. I can't wait until Taj has show and tell. I'm a little nervous...

elasticwaistbandlady said...

The teachers know better than to give my Melody anything longer than a 5 word sentence in the Primary program.

She's a microphone eater and a stage wiggler and the perfect embodiment of me as a naughty and ireverent 5-year old.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Sooooo, I put Melody in Kindergartner in October. And, contrary to the thoguht that she couldn't survive without me, she LOVES it!

But like we discussed, these things really are contingent on the teachers and how ejoyable they make school. After a bad run of crappy teachers we've finally hit the happy Teacher Trifecta Lottery!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

The last comment was in relation to your venty post below.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

This comment is in relation to today's post:

If your family's life was made into a movie it would be called Old Yeller Vs. The Young Yellers.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I'm going to use this space to say HI! to your sister, S. I didn't know that she's a private blogger now.

She's like that Tina Turner song. She's a private blogger....a blogger for money...she'll blog what you want her to blog....

Super Happy Girl said...

I live for the Primary presentation. Can I come to yours?

No lelling is a good rule. I'd listen to her.

Suzanne said...

I love how there is so much laughing in your home! And that is so sweet about Bo saying his part at school. I'm glad his teacher gets him. Now if the para-educators would just try a little harder...

Rebecca said...

I am a leller too.. so let little miss know that!

Rebecca said...

whats with the grapefruits?

Sarah Tilley said...

what, he didn't get expelled? that's pretty cool he remembered his line. i guess if i could somehow get a computer animated panda bear to say henry's line in a funny way, he'd have that sucker memorized in no time.

and lelling in one of our many vices...

aubreyannie said...

that is hilarious that avee is scolding you for "lelling" at bo! and yay for bo for preaching to his kindergarten class..his teacher does sound very cool.

Heffalump said...

Around here I often have to yell just to be heard over the noise of five rowdy boys. The sad thing is, that when I am yelling (even my mean, you are in big trouble bub yell) Baby B always smiles. Yelling to her is just Mom talking. Scary...

Charlotte said...

Just wait till they start discussing presidents and he tells the whole class about Joseph Smith. Or tells the kids in Primary about George Washington. My kids got those confused all the time when they were little.

Olivia Meikle said...

I asked Lemmy about Bo's recitation--he said Mrs. Best Teacher Ever said "Wow, Bo, that was wonderful. You have an excellent memory."

What a smart kid.