Sunday, June 17, 2007

Can I Get An Amen?

I have a confession.

I don't really care for, oh, how do you say it---the wearing of religion on one's sleeve. Or bumper. Or shirt. I appreciate a person's devotion and dedication, but bumper stickers that say, "Honk for Jesus" or even the basic "Jesus loves you" kind of bug me. I don't get worked up about it because clearly they do it for some people, but they do make me roll my eyes a little...

So, the other day I was trolling the aisles of Walsmart I passed a guy wearing a shirt that said, "Jesus Loves You" and I rolled my eyes. Ever so subtly.

Later I happened to pass him again in another aisle. This time there weren't stacks and stacks of Double Chocolate Oreo Cookies to distract me and I saw his shirt in its entirety. Below the proclamation of Jesus' love for every stranger he passed, it read, "(BUT I'M HIS FAVORITE)"

Now that is some religion I could slap on my bumper...

11 comments:

Super Happy Girl said...

:D HA!

Note to self: Easiest way to distract Nobody from hitting me, chocolate.

Sketchy said...

LOL!

I'll leave my "Live for Jesus" shirt in the suitcase if I ever come see you.

Code Yellow Mom said...

AMEN!!! THAT is hilarious!

I have the same little bee in my bonnet...

D and I saw a Mercedes roadster convertible (i.e., car that cost more than we make in two years) with a bumper sticker that said, "Don't be fooled - my real treasure is in heaven." We are still in awe at someone who can be in the world and not of it so well. ;)

But my real favorite is, "In case of rapture, can I have your car?"

Anonymous said...

Ditto for me I do not like....but my favorite is "when GOD comes down she is going to be mad". Mom says I am bad for liking that!
When I was doing Visiting nursing I was held hostage by a "Holy Roller" in her home until she had her complete say. It was very scary but now that I am NOT twenty bring it on!!!!

Carrot Jello said...

You're going to Walmart already??

Suzanne said...

I've never seen that shirt before. How funny! "WWJD" (What would Jesus do?" items were popular for a long time here. At first it was kind of cool, but then I started seeing it everywhere and it kind of lost it's meaning a little. Hopefully we don't need a wristband to remind us to choose the right...

Analiese said...

That guy stole my shirt!

Anonymous said...

Oh please Carrot....Target within 37hours!!! Shopping is shopping!

NOBODY said...

NCS: You know you like getting walloped by a not-so-redhaired stranger!

Sketchy: Come visit. With that shirt, you'll fit right in around here.

CYM: "Don't be fooled, I bought this with a credit card" that's what my bumper sticker would have to say. I like the rapture idea...

S: Mom's right. You're naughty. :)

Carrot: HA! Way to cut right to the important part of the post. I walk very very slowly.

Suzanne: J's had me convinced the J was HIS name, I never knew...

Analiese: You aren't kidding! That is totally your humor!

Anonymous: Why you telling my business? How am I supposed to get any sympathy now?

Rebecca said...

AMEN sister.. and dont forget about July and that poppth day and crappth day.. somedays like that that warrent celebration of some sort?!

Tori :) said...

LOL! That's awesome.