Wednesday, November 16, 2011

For Kim

I am the leaver, not the left behind. This is not fun.

You were one of the first people I met at church. You and Becky were sitting on the couch and started asking me about our move here. I remember telling you the route we took to church and one of you joked "Well that was real direct". I thought you both were big jerks and I knew for certain I would never like either of you, ever. Little did I know...

I remember one really cold winter morning (our first one here, after moving from Texas was one of the worst Iowa had had in a long time---J and I were in shock) I hauled the kids to story time at the elementary school. I didn't know you very well. You came in a little late, you looked so cute with all your winter accessories, but you were snarling. You stepped over people and growled, "I hate winter!" You weren't even remotely trying to be funny. You were angry. I remember laughing out loud at how totally serious you were.

A few months after we moved here I had to go to your house for a meeting. You had recently found out I had a blog and whipped out a pen, asking me for the blog address. I didn't want to give it to you. I didn't want you to know that I sometimes said damn and hell. Or that I made fun of people. Or that I confessed to sometimes not liking my children, or being a slob. I needed those secrets to stay safe on the world wide web. You got it out of me though, as persistent as I may have been, you were more so.

That was the real beginning. You've always made me feel so good about my blogging "efforts", my biggest fan. :)

Girl's night out, sushi, late Tuesday night movies, The Good Wife, play dates, church callings....

I've always been impressed with how well you do everything that you do. You aren't perfect and you can't do everything---but what you do, you do well.

I've loved watching your children grow up and enjoying their very "energetic" personalities. The first time I interacted with Ella she asked me where I lived, how I got here, and if that baby I was holding was mine. Then she asked me if he came out of my stomach, how he got there in the first place, and if there was another one in there right now. She was barely 3. Little Ella, how I've loved conversations with her. I will miss being asked how big my baby is "today". Even if she just asked 4 hours before...

You introduced us to Wicked. Man I love that music. I remember confidently telling you I had figured the story out and you shouldn't have made me listen to it before I saw the show, because now it was ruined for me. You smiled and said, "Things aren't always as they seem Nobody..." I can still listen to that soundtrack for hours on end and I have so many great memories of riding around with your kids in the back of my car, belting out "Popular". We only stopped because my CD wore out---not us!

You've made me mad. You know when you have, too. But you are like a drug and I just cain't quit you. It's how I know I love you---even when I've gotten mad at you, I know I'll forgive you and that your friendship is one I cherish. I've made you mad. Only, I just had to be smart to figure it out. I've never seen anyone do more gymnastics to avoid conflict or saying no. I've watched you get better about saying no---but it's a good thing I'm a nice girl or I could ride that push-over train of yours all the way to Hawaii!! You have a kind and compassionate heart, and the word "no" is impossible for you to say.

Your love for Starbucks is contagious. I remember almost being angry at you when you introduced me to the salted caramel hot chocolate. I couldn't afford that kind of an addiction, and that's all I could see it becoming!

I feel like I could write for days and days---we've had so many great memories, so many great conversations, so many good laughs in the last 4 years. I am so grateful that you have been a part of our Iowa experience. I bet you're glad I was a part of yours. :)

I know you are leaving a trail of broken hearts, here in Iowa. You have so many friends and have the unique ability of making each of us feel like the most important one in your life.

Texas is awesome and you will be just as in love with your life there, as you have been here. You are good at blooming where you are planted. Personally, I think blooming in a warmer climate just has to be more fun.

Thanks for making me laugh out loud, calling me out on my bullcrap ("Of course we'll come visit you soon in Texas, Sydney!" "Don't listen to that Sydney, they left Texas 4 years ago and haven't been back since!"), having such great kids that are so fun for my kids to play with, being a good example of hard work and always trying to improve yourself, sushi dates, pinch-hitting with childcare, and all in all being someone who has made our lives here in Iowa so much better.

We will miss you desperately. I will. J might.

Love you bigger'n Texas.

6 comments:

a said...

Ya it's so rude when people move away, glad to have another awesome person in Texas! :)

Sherry said...

I love it. You are a good friend. All I can say is that I'm glad I left a while back... it doesn't hurt as much but for some odd reason, even though I've already been the leaver, I am missing her too.

Bryner Family said...

I've been the leaver and the left behind and both stink. I'm glad you had such a great friend in Iowa and you can keep that friendship forever thanks to technology. :) When ARE you coming back to visit Texas?! :P

Andrea said...

So not fun to be left. My friend leaves tomorrow and it's so so sad.

Bex said...

That's not true Nobody! You came back to Texas to visit once...that's when I had Pho and didn't go to a Justin Beiber or was it Zach Effron (is there a difference?) movie, and the nail lady thought you wanted food, and they told me I needed my eyebrows waxed.

Kim said...

Just to clear the air
I ask forgiveness for the things I've done you blame me for.

Thanks friend.....I love yasmin
Can't wait to see you and that baby in your tummy very soon!'