Friday, May 13, 2011

Old Footage

Today I woke Avee up for the day (the only child I have to do that with) and reminded her tonight was our girl's night and sleep over. Her face beamed. All that means is, no brothers, and she gets to sleep with me, and that is pure joy. Tonight is the fathers and sons camp out. J's excited to have willing participants to camp with, Bo is beside himself with excitement, and Danyo just knows "it's not today". He's going to be thrilled when he learns it IS today.

So, Avee is an absolute delight. She's funny, charming, smart, obedient, helpful, and just all around wonderful. I'm a little embarrassed to admit, that for some time now, I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop. Maybe it won't drop for another 8 years. Maybe it won't drop at all. But J and I are in heaven with this darling little, practically perfect, girl.

Then I was looking for an old picture and found some old footage of Avee. And I remembered...

I've paid my dues. That girl was a PIECE OF WORK in her toddler years and even as a baby. I'm earning my reward of surviving those years. It's funny to look back and see her that way. And I know I got a kick out of it at times, but I know it was more hard than anything else. She was always, and I mean ALWAYS--one step ahead of me. I found a video that proved it.

She's probably almost three here:


Obviously I was aware of the showdown that would ensue because I don't typically pull out the camera when my kids are disobeying me. I have always loved, and will continue to love, how kids think they are being sneaky, right in front of your face. Danyo will come steal candy out of my school bag, then hold the candy away from his body, right in front of me, and dash out of the room. As though, the candy made a quicker exit, so I didn't see it. I say, "Danyo, put the candy back" and he responds, "You didn't see the candy!" I love that. Enough that most of the time he gets to keep the candy. Hmmmm, maybe that's why he's such a toot!

I successfully finished my first semester of grad school. It was a lot of work--ahem---for J. That dude worked practically 24/7 without breaking a sweat. He's awesome. April pretty much kicked my butt school wise. Group projects should burn in hell for eternity. I was either the slacker or the anal one, and really, my description shouldn't vary that much in a group. We got perfect scores on all of them though, so I think that means I'm perfect just the way I am.

I love being back in school. I love "redefining" myself in that role. I was a student for so long, I didn't know who I could be when I finished. Now I feel like I've been "Mom" for so long, it's hard not to reach over and work on a stain on my classmate's jacket when the lecture gets boring.

I don't really make very good first impressions. I don't know why either. I always know that eventually people will like me, but that lapse of time between first impression and when they discover I'm awesomer than an ice cream sandwich, can sometimes be painful and excruciatingly long for me. It's nice to be married to someone who says, "Hang in there, they'll get it." He's probably speaking from experience. Dang.

School's out soon. I can't wait. I've reached the stage in life where I'm sick of packing lunches, keeping a strict schedule, driving to school, etc, but in 3 months I'll be sick of my kids and so excited for school to start. This summer we have swim lessons, kids university, two road trips, and visitors to Iowa, ALL planned so far. It's gonna be an awesome summer.

By way of documenting our lives, right now Bo is obsessed with the presidents. His favorites are Herbert Hoover, Harry Truman, and Theodore Roosevelt. He hates Woodrow Wilson. He knows all these random facts about them and gets really annoyed that I don't keep up with him. Just to show him who's boss, I ask him to give me three methods of intervention for an identified patient in a family counseling setting.

Avee has gotten into video games with J. It's pretty cute. She still works him like a...like a.... I don't know. I can't think of any thing that has that much power over another---just by existing. Danyo has gotten a little better about his mouthiness and losing his temper. He gets lost in the shuffle a lot. He's so easy-going, it's easily done. He loves his stuffed animals, a dog named Kipper, a dog named Nixon, a nameless elephant and a pink Care Bear. And his blanket, made by my friend Rebecca. They are his soul mates. His best friend is this hysterical little girl named Emma and they can play together nonstop without one single fight. It's my favorite part of the day, listening to them talk. They are also quite naughty together at times. Jumping on beds, opening the garage door over and over, spilling entire cans of cashews and running from the scene of the crime.

I have to go.
Word to your mothers.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

first

Rebecca said...

OK.. back from that old habit..I was about to start chewing on my leg for lack of posts from you..so excited that my hourly check paid off..almost missed picking my kids up from school watching Avees video..love the ..I'll just go sit in my room..dang those kids where threats get ya nowhere..
anyway..working out the stain..thats funny.. and I want to know bo's response to methods of intervention..I bet he has one..reponse that is..
OK.. first impressions..you rock, from the first moment, but thats me..and you almost made me cry.WORD.

dancin' momma said...

I think you make a great first impression. I distinctly remember when I made a horrible first impression by introducing myself as a person who constantly stalked your blog. :) Congrats on surviving your first semester back at school!

Liz said...

I love that all it took was the possibility of missing a party, and she was totally on board with obeying.

And thank you for the pin sized ray of hope you just shone for me, for maybe at the end of my tunnel of toddler/preschool-hood with Zachary, I just might like him again ;)

Mrs. O said...

That video is so dang cute! And yay for school being done for now.

Heffalump said...

As for Avee and J...maybe like the moon pulls the tides?
Spunky little girls are awesome!
I'm glad you are enjoying being in school, and that you have a great summer planned!

Barnes Blog said...

Seriously!? That is my Ellie. What the heck, teach me how to be a good Mommy.
I am realizing, from reading other comments, that I should have read the entire post, not just watched the video and read the one paragraph after it.....I do love your blog, and I want more videos of your life. You are fascinating.